Skip to main content

Holiday Season Sales

In November and December, we have Singles' Day (11.11), Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Double 12 (12.12), Pre-Christmas Sale, Year End Sale (Y.E.S.), Warehouse Clearance Sales, End Season Sale and probably a few more of fancy sales title that lure into the stores/websites/apps.
Doesn't it seem more attractive when the stores throw in various luxurious freebies such as the latest iPhone, trendy wireless earphones, even the probably-going-to-be-useful electrical appliances on top of the great savings you can get from the 'up to 90% off'?

Christmas is approaching, isn't this a nice opportunity to whip up some deals for your loved ones, fulfill the social-obligated gift exchange and of course, some little rewards for yourself after a year-long dedicated hard work? Not to mention, you have probably foresee a windfall coming this December - The Bonus - which is a recognition for your effort and commitment throughout the year, and therefore, it's fine to get some nice fancy stuff for yourself, right? It wouldn't hurt, I mean, it's not part of your monthly salary, it's a bonus! And bonus means extra. It's extra money you get for working hard and therefore being appreciated by your company. And haven't you been eyeing on the latest gadgets released just a couple of months ago? You were hesitant because of the hefty price tag, but look, now you have some extra money! And it's holiday season, and you've worked so hard, and there's sale so there must be great savings!!!!

Just that, the sale is a sale, but the deal may not be that of a great deal after all. Some companies actually plan the string of holiday sales around six months in advance, and the so-called deals aren't exactly strategised to help you save money, instead, they are designed to tempt you to spend money. And of course they are executed during the holiday seasons, when everyone is immerse in the festive joy, and when your bonus is paid, so you will be more lenient and willing to spend. They'd give you every reason you need to part your money in the facade of great savings. But bear in mind, it's business, and the primary purpose of business is to generate profits, thus no matter how much savings they offer, even if it's 90% off, they are still making a good enough profit after deducting the operational and advertising costs. It's a game that they will always win, but they are smart enough to mislead you to think that you are the one in control and the one who's winning the game so that you will keep wanting to play the game again.

There's actually nothing bad about getting the stuff you need/ want during a sale, and nothing wrong to get a sale item for your loved ones or for any social obligations. After all, given that the companies are still making a good profit after giving such a great discount, don't you ever wonder how much the products has been marked up on the regular days? And if we are going to get something we need/want anyway, wouldn't it be nice to get it at a good price instead of getting scammed by the recommended retail price (RRP)?

Indeed, the problem is not getting the stuff you need/want at a more affordable price. The problem lies with getting the stuff you were made to think you need/want at a price you were manipulated to believe that there's more value for money, that you are having a huge savings from buying more stuff that you 'just in case' will need in future (because buying in bulk will always be cheaper, right?), that you are being a witty, frugal, money smart person stretching your dollar and taking full advantage of the system.

But do you know that some companies actually jack up their prices a month or two right before the sales season so that they can create the false illusion of great savings to tempt you into the shopping spree? 

Let me share a personal experience. Some years ago, there was something that I wanted and it was around $70+ after a regular discount in August, but I decided to take some time to think through it. In mid September, the price was raised to $90+ after a lesser discount, and I thought, what a shame to miss a good discount in August, maybe I should wait for the Black Friday Sale in two months time, it's one of the greatest sale so hopefully they can offer it at  same price in August. However, during the BFS, the price was only reduced to $80+ , even though they marketed it as the greatest discount they can offer against the RRP, and I decided it's just not worth that kind of money, so I walked away and forgot about it, until another few months later when I happen to visit the store again in April, and noticed that the price has once again reduced to $70+. By then, there's no urge to get it anymore. It has always been a 'want', just that it evolved from a 'I-need-to-have-that' want to a 'that-will-be-good-to-have' want, and so I decided to walked out of the store again, saving 100% of the money.

As you see, companies could manipulate the prices to trick you into the illusion that you've got a good deal during the holiday seasons, when in fact, you could have gotten a better deal if you are willing to compare prices, not just among stores, but also across a couple of months. But if you can wait around for a few months without it, you can definitely live without it, and then it'd be up to you to decide if that's worth the money and its potential growth, if that's something that can really add value to your life, or would it end up in the junkyard 10 years down the road?

After all, you may save 40% for buying something at 40% off, but you'd save 100% if you don't buy anything at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I being Filial or Manipulative? A Weekend Discussion with My Parents on Housing and Retirement

Over the weekend I had a more serious conversation with my parents on the topic of money, in particular in the area of investing and properties. My parents and I currently live in a 41-year-old 3-room HDB flat in a matured estate, one which is very close to many amenities and convenient for my dad and me to get to work. As my parents are approaching 55 in a couple of years time, and my dad seriously considers to retire in a few years after that, they are considering to apply for a BTO flat around the region, in view that the HDB is already middle-aged and they want a bigger unit with 3 bedrooms, hoping to sublet one of the rooms for rent, and maybe two of them if I moved out of the house. This will not only fund for their retirement income but also serves as a means to preserve the value of their assets, as while it's unlikely that they will outlive the HDB lease, they didn't appreciate the idea that the value of the property coming close to zero by the time they part and there

How I Saved $200,000 in 3.5 years Without A Degree

Yes. I have finally hit the momentous milestone of achieving 200K! It's actually a surprise for me because I have been busy with work for the past 2 weeks and wasn't keeping a tab on the whole picture of my assets. I decided to reconcile my assets today because the STI was inching towards the 2,500 support level so I wanted to figure out how much I can afford to invest in the market in case it is going to present another opportunity in near future. When I finally get the calculations done, I was taken aback by the overall figure.  At the point of writing, my net worth, which consists of cash savings, investment portfolio, CPF, and a loan to a friend, adds up to a total of $201,074.97 Net Worth = Assets - Liabilities.  As a side note, I don't have any debt, so my liability is zero. CPF is included as assets because I actively pump money into it and money in CPF can be utilised in many areas. The loan is to help a friend with his university's tuition fees and he has been

Thoughts on CPF, Housing, and How Long Does It Take For Me to Reach FRS

I have been transferring the money in the Ordinary Account (OA) to Special Account (SA) every month and actively topping-up money in SA. The $7,000 tax relief and the 5% interest rate is really attractive. In fact, my CPF interest last year was already more than the bread I bring home in my first month of work. Another popular way to look at it is by treating it as a long-term AAA-rated bond that you can redeem in your retirement. The money in the Ordinary Account is commonly used for education and housing, which for education, I intend to use cash savings, and for housing, I plan to use as much cash as possible for a downpayment so that I don't have to touch the money in my CPF, and if I really need to take up a mortgage loan, I won't have to borrow too much money beyond my means. This also helps me to limit my options to housing that I can really afford.  If I were to get married, I'm open to the option of staying with my parents or in-laws until my partner and I are fina