Skip to main content

Saving The Windfall

Windfall - a large amount of money that is won or received unexpectedly.

Even though I'm a boring person who prefers to stick to routines, I definitely welcome those spontaneous windfalls.

However, I don't tend to spend this kind of money - money that I don't expect to have. 

I didn't spend my bonus last year.
I didn't spend the $600 from the Resilience Budget in April
I didn't spend any other gift money received over festive seasons, birthdays, or tokens of appreciation.

They all went straight to my savings accounts, waiting to be deployed when the right opportunities arise.
Some of my friends are surprised at this. They found me weird to not get presents or reward for myself when I receive a bonus or gift money. They thought I was 'in need of money' that's why I'm depriving myself of all those spendings joy, but they didn't understand that I don't derive joy from spending money on stuff I don't need. I didn't even buy the idea of saving half of it and go spending the remaining half.

I took some time to reflect on why I have such an attitude towards windfalls and collected my thoughts in this post.

First of all, I don't spend them since I don't really have big-ticket items in mind that I must buy. The one that I really want, i.e. a house, is still out of the league for me. I already have a lot of stuff that was accumulated over the years and they are still in working condition. If they aren't I will try to fix them before consider getting a replacement.

I also had some exposure to marketing when I was younger and therefore understood the tactics they use to manipulate people's feelings and then their wallets, so I understand it could be really difficult to resist the seduction. Read this to see how I battled my shopping monster

My advice is 1) Calculate the compounded value over the years and see if you still think it's worth it, and 2) If you can't resist the temptation, make them irrelevant.

Secondly, anything that I need or reasonably want, I should be already able to afford them with my income minus the mandatory savings, which means that I never need to touch the windfall to get what I want. 

In case I can't pay for it after deducting the savings from my take-home pay, I will consider if this is something that I could afford or really need after all. If so, I will just save up over a few months for it rather than laying my hands on the windfall. This is called 'delay gratification'. And if you can live without it for a few months, you probably can live without it for years.

Thirdly, I don't have the thoughts of 'I have been working so hard throughout the year, I should reward myself'' and I could never understand it. Yes, I worked hard, but that's expected of me because I'm paid to work and I want to succeed in my career. All the time and effort I have put in is to have a better future for myself, so the outcome itself is already a reward for my journey.

Lastly, I'm quite satisfied with life. Of course, I think my life could definitely get better, which is why I'm working hard towards my financial goals, but I don't feel deprived or have the need to fill a void with stuff. I am able to manage my emotions and I don't leave myself feeling upset or negative for long. I don't see a point in crying over spilt milk. If milk is spilt, you need to clean it up and go out to get more milk or deal with not having milk at all. Perhaps that's why I don't see the need to buy things to 'cheer me up' or 'reward myself' or 'make me happy'. You don't need to offer unhealthy ice cream to comfort a kid if he/she is not sad at all.

That's it from me on why I don't feel any resistance in saving windfalls. Do you think I'm too uptight with myself after all? How did you manage the $600 from the government? What do you usually do with your bonus at the end of the year? Do you strategise a plan to spend them, or save/spend all of them? Please let me know what you think and many thanks for reading


Comments

  1. My pay has been drastically reduced by half ever since I work in the essential services. My previous company put me on no-pay leave from 7 Apr onwards. That's why I have been working temporarily in the essential services.
    Without the $600 from the Government, I can't give enough allowance to my father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yanping, thanks for sharing. Yea, times are really hard now and bills doesn't stop even if our income does. People working in essential services are really respectable because they are adding a lot of value to the society in this critical period.

      I'm happy that you are putting the money to good use. $600 can be used for a lot of things and you chose to give it to your father. It's really not easy to be the one shouldering responsibilities in the current situation.

      Let's hope this disaster will be over soon.

      Delete
  2. I am similar to you. I save up my bonus and the $600 too. In fact I have been doing this all along for my bonus. Its my hard earned money for the year which I will need to make the money work even harder to generate returns even as I sleep =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MIM,

      Haha yes, we work hard, so that we can make our money work harder :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Am I being Filial or Manipulative? A Weekend Discussion with My Parents on Housing and Retirement

Over the weekend I had a more serious conversation with my parents on the topic of money, in particular in the area of investing and properties. My parents and I currently live in a 41-year-old 3-room HDB flat in a matured estate, one which is very close to many amenities and convenient for my dad and me to get to work. As my parents are approaching 55 in a couple of years time, and my dad seriously considers to retire in a few years after that, they are considering to apply for a BTO flat around the region, in view that the HDB is already middle-aged and they want a bigger unit with 3 bedrooms, hoping to sublet one of the rooms for rent, and maybe two of them if I moved out of the house. This will not only fund for their retirement income but also serves as a means to preserve the value of their assets, as while it's unlikely that they will outlive the HDB lease, they didn't appreciate the idea that the value of the property coming close to zero by the time they part and there

How I Saved $200,000 in 3.5 years Without A Degree

Yes. I have finally hit the momentous milestone of achieving 200K! It's actually a surprise for me because I have been busy with work for the past 2 weeks and wasn't keeping a tab on the whole picture of my assets. I decided to reconcile my assets today because the STI was inching towards the 2,500 support level so I wanted to figure out how much I can afford to invest in the market in case it is going to present another opportunity in near future. When I finally get the calculations done, I was taken aback by the overall figure.  At the point of writing, my net worth, which consists of cash savings, investment portfolio, CPF, and a loan to a friend, adds up to a total of $201,074.97 Net Worth = Assets - Liabilities.  As a side note, I don't have any debt, so my liability is zero. CPF is included as assets because I actively pump money into it and money in CPF can be utilised in many areas. The loan is to help a friend with his university's tuition fees and he has been

Thoughts on CPF, Housing, and How Long Does It Take For Me to Reach FRS

I have been transferring the money in the Ordinary Account (OA) to Special Account (SA) every month and actively topping-up money in SA. The $7,000 tax relief and the 5% interest rate is really attractive. In fact, my CPF interest last year was already more than the bread I bring home in my first month of work. Another popular way to look at it is by treating it as a long-term AAA-rated bond that you can redeem in your retirement. The money in the Ordinary Account is commonly used for education and housing, which for education, I intend to use cash savings, and for housing, I plan to use as much cash as possible for a downpayment so that I don't have to touch the money in my CPF, and if I really need to take up a mortgage loan, I won't have to borrow too much money beyond my means. This also helps me to limit my options to housing that I can really afford.  If I were to get married, I'm open to the option of staying with my parents or in-laws until my partner and I are fina