Skip to main content

Milestone Updates and probably a lot of chit-chat

It has been 11 months since my last post that I almost forget I have a financial blog :P

Life was so busy and after staring at screens for more than 16 hours every day for work and study, the last thing I want to do is to whip out my laptop and write a blog, plus I have adopted one cat and rescued another kitten last year, so those adorable burdens do take up a huge chunk of my time ;)

Milestones

Had a major shift in my financial strategy, so I consolidated my assets to update my net worth.

A couple of financial milestones:

  1. Reached 250K by Dec 2020 ( up 50K in 7 months)
  2. Reached 300K by Feb 2021 (up 50K in 2 months)
  3. Reached 100K in CPF Special Account by Apr 2021
  4. Reached 200K in Current Assets (assets that can be liquidated in less than a month) by Apr 21
  5. Net Worth on Apr 21 hit 333K (what a nice number :)) the 33K is the money in my Medisave and an outstanding loan to a friend for his university education.

The first 50K increment is due to capital gains in investment and the bonus received at year-end, while the second 50K bump is mainly due to the crypto bull run.

Lifestyle inflation is real. 

Only after hitting the 200K mark I feel comfortable taking in two cats because I am confident that I can be responsible for them and providing them with quality food and medical care throughout their lives.

Major expenses over the past year include a flagship phone ($1258), a Secret Lab chair ($468), a pocket spring queen-size mattress ($599), a Yamaha speaker ($470), an iPad Air ($879) with apple pencil ($189), and a luxurious dinner treat to my parents at the Michelin-starred Crystal Jade Golden Palace ($706.45).

My parents are very frugal people and they don't spend over $5 on each meal except at gatherings or when I occasionally join them for dinner. Knowing them, they would never bring themselves to spend so much money on food if I don't take the initiative.

Of course, this is not the only time I have brought them out for dinner, but I was determined to bring them somewhere really fancy that time because my Dad's turning 55 that month, and I just realised a tidy profit of around $30K :) I 

The rest of the stuff is mainly a replacement of their predecessors. I opted for the best quality I can see myself buying, which is, one of the best decisions I have made. They feel and work much better as such that I see them as an alternative investment to improve the quality of life and my productivity while reducing clutter and hopefully expenses in the long term. 

I'm expecting the phone to last for 5 years and the iPad to last for 7 years (as per their predecessors), while the chair, mattress, and speaker are expected to last for at least another 15 years.

I also signed up for FRM course that cost over 6k, because it was relevant to my field of work and there is a 90% reimbursement once I passed the exams, which is a good motivation for me to study. Took a bridging course that amounts to around 1K, and enrolled in a Diploma in Business Analytics that is expected to set me back for around 3K because I was offered a grant and I supposed an additional qualification to look nice on paper will add to my advantage since there isn't any Ivy League degree on my resume.

To be frank, sometimes I do wonder if I'm really spending too much money that could have been put to better use, i.e. work harder to get more investment returns through compounding magic. 

One way I could reason out is that I have set aside one-year emergency funds for the whole family, have no debt, and my net worth is still increasing through my full-time job, side hustle, investment, and speculation (Dogecoin anyone?), thus it's OK to enjoy those luxuries and improve the quality of life

Another way to look at it is to think about how I would plan my time and finance:

  1. if I were to die tomorrow
  2. if I were to live till 120 years.
Keeping these polar opposites in mind have allowed me to YOLO responsibly ;) by giving myself permission to indulge the finer things in life while keeping a close eye on the figures and prepping for the long-term financial future.

CPF Strategy

Lately, I have been contemplating (again) whether if I should start accumulating my OA to prepare for future property investment.

The initial plan was to transfer OA to SA and top-up $7,000 yearly to SA till FRS, and let the 4% interest make up for the FRS inflation while I shift the focus to top up MA for tax relief.

However, my decision to transfer OA to SA and topping up my SA for the past few years has been badly frowned upon by my family and friends because of one or at least one of the following reasons:
  • They have a more political opinion with lesser faith in the system, 
  • They highlight the importance of cash flow in case of emergency,
  • They suggest leaving more time-frame for the tax relief from the yearly $7,000 voluntary contribution to the Special account should I foresee myself earning more or working longer years in the future.
Many young couples would also recommend keeping more cash at hand and having the liquidity to utilise OA to build a better love nest.

Too bad that doesn't relate to a BBFA like me XD

I do think that the CPF policies would change over the next 3 decades, but I have more faith that it would evolve into policies that better serve the needs of the citizens. 

Even though I am currently not worried about cash flow, it still sits at the back of my mind that what if we suddenly need the extra $7,000 beyond the emergency fund that was set aside?

Last year was the first year I earned enough to have to pay tax after factoring in all the tax reliefs, and I'm still quite optimistic about my earning power in the future, so halting the OA transfer may be something worthy to consider. 

What's Next?

There are plans to take a career break and further my studies. It may not be an economically sound decision, especially when I'm at the age to work hard and establish my career. 

However, I have always kept in mind the reasons why I am working, and one of them is to save up enough so that I don't have to worry about money at all when I further my education.

I have already applied to some part-time courses in the local uni, and I chose part-time because I'm a night owl who can study better at night, it's much cheaper than full-time courses, and even though I have the idea of taking a break from work to focus on studies and enjoy the student life, I still want to retain the option to take up a full-time job in case any need arises.

But for now, let's see how the application goes :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I being Filial or Manipulative? A Weekend Discussion with My Parents on Housing and Retirement

Over the weekend I had a more serious conversation with my parents on the topic of money, in particular in the area of investing and properties. My parents and I currently live in a 41-year-old 3-room HDB flat in a matured estate, one which is very close to many amenities and convenient for my dad and me to get to work. As my parents are approaching 55 in a couple of years time, and my dad seriously considers to retire in a few years after that, they are considering to apply for a BTO flat around the region, in view that the HDB is already middle-aged and they want a bigger unit with 3 bedrooms, hoping to sublet one of the rooms for rent, and maybe two of them if I moved out of the house. This will not only fund for their retirement income but also serves as a means to preserve the value of their assets, as while it's unlikely that they will outlive the HDB lease, they didn't appreciate the idea that the value of the property coming close to zero by the time they part and there

How I Saved $200,000 in 3.5 years Without A Degree

Yes. I have finally hit the momentous milestone of achieving 200K! It's actually a surprise for me because I have been busy with work for the past 2 weeks and wasn't keeping a tab on the whole picture of my assets. I decided to reconcile my assets today because the STI was inching towards the 2,500 support level so I wanted to figure out how much I can afford to invest in the market in case it is going to present another opportunity in near future. When I finally get the calculations done, I was taken aback by the overall figure.  At the point of writing, my net worth, which consists of cash savings, investment portfolio, CPF, and a loan to a friend, adds up to a total of $201,074.97 Net Worth = Assets - Liabilities.  As a side note, I don't have any debt, so my liability is zero. CPF is included as assets because I actively pump money into it and money in CPF can be utilised in many areas. The loan is to help a friend with his university's tuition fees and he has been

Thoughts on CPF, Housing, and How Long Does It Take For Me to Reach FRS

I have been transferring the money in the Ordinary Account (OA) to Special Account (SA) every month and actively topping-up money in SA. The $7,000 tax relief and the 5% interest rate is really attractive. In fact, my CPF interest last year was already more than the bread I bring home in my first month of work. Another popular way to look at it is by treating it as a long-term AAA-rated bond that you can redeem in your retirement. The money in the Ordinary Account is commonly used for education and housing, which for education, I intend to use cash savings, and for housing, I plan to use as much cash as possible for a downpayment so that I don't have to touch the money in my CPF, and if I really need to take up a mortgage loan, I won't have to borrow too much money beyond my means. This also helps me to limit my options to housing that I can really afford.  If I were to get married, I'm open to the option of staying with my parents or in-laws until my partner and I are fina